Re: Help About Squeeze

On 5/12/2011 2:14 AM, Markus Neviadomski wrote:
Hi,

Thats sound like a fake, sorry. A single-core CPU with a some piece of
RAM as file server for 200 users? No...

Buy a new hardware with 4 or 6 cores, 16GB RAM and a raid controller and
some disks. Then copy your data from the old system on the new raid
system and everything is fine.

You didn't answer the OP's question. And your upgrade recommendation is complete overkill. A modern ~2Ghz Sempron can easily saturate a GbE pipe without using jumbo frames. 1GB of RAM is plenty for serving 200 office environment Samba clients--512MB would even be sufficient. If he's lacking performance it's due to insufficient head seeks bandwidth. He didn't mention a capacity shortage and he currently has ~250GB of disk. A single 250GB SSD would solve that problem instantly for $400-600 USD with an MLC drive. Two mirrored would be better, so $400-1200 USD. This would yield 50,000 seeks/second vs the 300 he has now, and ~250MB/s bandwidth, vs the ~160MB/s he currently has.