Re: Help About Squeeze

Am 12.05.2011 10:58, schrieb Stan Hoeppner:
> On 5/12/2011 2:14 AM, Markus Neviadomski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thats sound like a fake, sorry. A single-core CPU with a some piece of
>> RAM as file server for 200 users? No...
>>
>> Buy a new hardware with 4 or 6 cores, 16GB RAM and a raid controller and
>> some disks. Then copy your data from the old system on the new raid
>> system and everything is fine.
>
> You didn't answer the OP's question.

I did. The OP should get a hardware without errors (its the best time to
upgrade the hardware to a new one, but any old one is also ok) and do a
correct data recovery from his old disks to a new raid system. He has
200 users  behind his server. Nobody could do any work until the OP is
testing some BIOS settings or system configs without sleep mode,
recovering the file system and so on. Because of his question, the OP is
not very confident dealing with hard- and software, a new setup is the
best way with the fewest possible errors.

> And your upgrade recommendation is complete overkill.  A modern ~2Ghz
> Sempron can easily saturate a GbE pipe without using jumbo frames.
> 1GB of RAM is plenty for serving 200 office environment Samba
> clients--512MB would even be sufficient.  If he's lacking performance
> it's due to insufficient head seeks bandwidth.  He didn't mention a
> capacity shortage and he currently has ~250GB of disk.  A single 250GB
> SSD would solve that problem instantly for $400-600 USD with an MLC
> drive.  Two mirrored would be better, so $400-1200 USD.  This would
> yield 50,000 seeks/second vs the 300 he has now, and ~250MB/s
> bandwidth, vs the ~160MB/s he currently has.

Never use a single drive for important data. Dont tell this idea to
other people please!