Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Geronimo <geronimo013@arcor.de> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>>
>> At what point does booting from squeeze's grub does the boot process
>> fail? And what's the error (if any)?
>
> Grub "fails" after writing "Grub" black on white, before showing the menue.
> I don't know how much code fits into the mbr and I don't know, whether grub is
> stil busy or whether the mbr-jump ended in nirvana.
>
>> And what's the error (if any)?
>
> No error-message at all.

So not even a "grub rescue" prompt!

I wonder whether this isn't related to the sdg2 issue that I pointed
out in my previous email. I don't know enough (or even anything!)
about the handoff from boot.img in the MBR to core.img in the post-MBR
gap to know whether the first "set root='(hd6,msdos2)" can screw
things up.

Of course, I could be completely off-base and your problem could be
some kernel/hardware driver problem caused by 6.0 to 6.0.1 upgrade...