Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 06:53:38PM +0100, Geronimo wrote:
> I had the same issue when squeeze was testing and I reported it to this ML.

Mmmm, so there is an already known issue.

> But most comments leaded to my own problem. No one was willing to accept, that
> there's a big issue with grub.

So in reality, it is not really a Debian issue.
Have you considered taking this up with upstream?

> Even now - I don't have the impression, that anybody accepts, that my
> situation is a grub issue.

If you can convince the grub developers that it is, then they should be
interested in fixing it.

But in the meantime you are aware that you have this issue and now it
has happened twice.

I would be wary of any updates where there was a chance of grub having
to probe for external devices, etc.

If you know the fix, of course:

	* update/upgrade
	* apply fix
	* smile

> > > ... and the installer? Crashes on installing, when /usr and /var are
> > > different partitions which should not be formatted. Huh???

Perhaps an issue of initial disk detection?

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte