Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

Hello,

Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 06:53:38PM +0100, Geronimo wrote:
>
> > I had the same issue when squeeze was testing and I reported it to this
> > ML.

> Mmmm, so there is an already known issue.

Not quite.

Last time I changed the fs-type from ext3 to ext4 and restored the system from
tarball, so it might be possible, that I did a mistake during that step.
I was recommended to setup a fresh system - and I followed that advice.

... and I was already used to patch grub.cfg after each update, that caused a
grub-update.

But this time a patch of grub.cfg did not bring the system back into play.

> So in reality, it is not really a Debian issue.

Hm, don't understand that.

If a debian stable system is unbootable after update - is that a debian issue?
I did not change anything respect to hardware.

by the way: I looked at output from smartctrl of the system disk, which has an
age of less than one year:
	power cycle count: 	641
	power on hours: 	3075

> Have you considered taking this up with upstream?

Don't know - what do you want me to do?

> If you know the fix, of course:

No, as I stated before: I have no idea of system internals like boot process.

kind regards

Gero