Best network filesystem for a bleeding edge, pure linux environment?

Hi,

I want to set up a network filesystem to share files between several
linux systems (Debian & OpenWrt).  Judging from what I see on the list
and elsewhere, NFS stills seems to be the standard, but I am aware that
newer options are available, e.g. Coda and OpenAFS.  Since I don't need
any legacy or non-linux support, should I try one of those, or just
stick with NFS?

I've seen this IBM paper:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-network-filesystems/

this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg91079.html

and this:

http://coda.wikidev.net/Small_file_performance

but I am utterly new to network filesystems, and there isn't all that
much to go on in the above.  Recommendations?

Celejar