Re: Best network filesystem for a bleeding edge, pure linux environment?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I want to set up a network filesystem to share files between several
linux systems (Debian & OpenWrt).  Judging from what I see on the list
and elsewhere, NFS stills seems to be the standard, but I am aware that
newer options are available, e.g. Coda and OpenAFS.  Since I don't need
any legacy or non-linux support, should I try one of those, or just
stick with NFS?

I've seen this IBM paper:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-network-filesystems/

this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg91079.html

and this:

http://coda.wikidev.net/Small_file_performance

but I am utterly new to network filesystems, and there isn't all that
much to go on in the above.  Recommendations?

I've not used Coda or OpenAFS yet as the last time I browsed the Linux kernel, they were still marked as extremely experimental still. NFS is good when going Linix <-> Linux (yes I know OpenWRT is Linux (so is ddwrt) but why not use Samba? I have a LinkSYS WRT54G (v3.1 *I think*) and I use a Samba Share that DD-WRT mounts for me at boot to provide extra storage on my router. For my needs, it's fast enough, in all honesty, I don't notice any performance impacts from doing this other then the router takes ~1-3s longer to boot, but at 12mo intervals, that is perfectly acceptable in my mind.

--
Did you know...
If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,
-- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org