Re: Best and most popular distros for the enterprise desktop

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 02:04:20AM +1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> Hi Boyd,
>
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> >I do believe a Free Software system should be as easy to use as MS
> >Windows for "Joe Sixpack" and "Jane Boxwine".  This might already
> >be the case; it is really hard for me to judge.  I've been
> >programming since I was 5 and a fan of UNIX and UNIX-like systems
> >since I first used one.
>
> I agree it is hard to judge how "Joe Sixpack" or "Jane Boxwine"
> consider to be "as easy as M$".....  ;-)

I find that for people who don't know much about computers, GNU/Linux is
easier than Windows.  Take my parents, for example.  They have Windows
XP Home and Ubuntu 10.04 dual-booting on their P4 2.4GHz 512MB machine.
My mother only uses Windows for some business-related software.  My
father won't use Windows anymore because it's too slow and is constantly
bombarding him with pop-ups that he doesn't understand (mostly stuff
related to the firewall, I think).

My parents would never consider installing software by themselves, on
either system.  They sometimes need to be reminded how to attach a
picture to an email message.  My siblings and their spouses use Debian
and Ubuntu.  They are slightly more computer-savy than my parents, but
don't do any software installation themselves.  The only complaints I
ever get from them are a periodic "flash isn't working on such-and-such
website".

They all prefer to use GNU/Linux and have access to my free help (which
they almost never need), than to use Windows and be on their own.

-Rob