Re: Best and most popular distros for the enterprise desktop

On 2011-03-01 13:28:43 teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net wrote:
>On an alternate point, I don't believe in ubuntu's bug number 1 mentality.
>
>I don't believe all windows users should be converted, if they are to lazy
>to learn basic administration leave them on windows, don't dilute the linux
>gene pool.

Bug 1 isn't about converting *all* MS Windows users.  It is about reducing the
MS Windows marketshare to an acceptable level.  In particular, making sure
that Free Software is adequately represented in the market so that when I go
to buy new gear I can actually find something acceptable in my local area.

Currently, if I want a new desktop with Free Software pre-installed, I must
seek out the Internet.  (Or buy a recycled one from the local Free Geek; none
of which meet my minimum specifications.)

I do believe a Free Software system should be as easy to use as MS Windows for
"Joe Sixpack" and "Jane Boxwine".  This might already be the case; it is
really hard for me to judge.  I've been programming since I was 5 and a fan of
UNIX and UNIX-like systems since I first used one.