Re: Best and most popular distros for the enterprise desktop

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 13:53 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Ma, 01 mar 11, 05:15:36, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> >
> > There are examples besides OpenOffice.  For example, we are eagerly
> > awaiting Iceweasel/Firefox 3.6 because the HTML5 support will finally
> > allow multiple attachments at once in Zimbra Web Client (if I understand
> > it correctly).  PDF editing is a nightmare in Linux but we do want to
> > stay abreast on the very promising pdf import in OO, well, I guess that
> > is OO.  There are also library issues.  In our environment, networked
> > sound was essential and we needed newer pulseaudio libraries.  webDAV,
> > calDAV, and cardDAV support was necessary for Zimbra so we needed newer
> > versions of Evolution and KDEPIM.  Ah, yes, knew there was more about
> > PDF - even PDF readers in Linux are a problem for very complicated
> > documents so we needed newer versions of acroread.  I think that's about
> > all we found - John
>
> Are these issues still valid for squeeze? Do you expect some or even all
> to go away with the release of wheezy?
>
> I don't have experience as a sysadmin, but considering the size of your
> shop, did you consider investing resources in helping Debian with
> packaging newer versions of software (wherever this is possible/makes
> sense), so that you don't have this issue for the next release?
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
We're actually still a very small shop hoping to grow up quickly into a
big one :)  We have not become very involved with Debian yet other than
trying to help out on the mail list.  We have little experience with
packaging but have done some and asked where to share our work but have
not pursued it aggressively.

Most of our support (both financial and temporal) has been upstream
which is really where the problems are such as sponsoring the caldav and
carddav implementation and integration in KDEPIM (although the KDE3
successor project, Trinity - http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net, put
far more into it than we paid for) and heavily testing and
troubleshooting the Evolution implementation.

Right now, it's all hands and dollars to the pump to get the business
off the ground but we do help that will generate human and financial
resources to support Debian and the upstream projects.  Thanks for the
suggestion - John