Re: Best and most popular distros for the enterprise desktop

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 11:34 +0200, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> 2011/3/1 John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com>:
> > On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 11:23 +0200, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> UBuntu lts is now very attractive to desktops, because of long support
> >> and it is also possible to buy support from canonical.
> > <snip>
> > That's what we first thought but it may not be what you expect.  We
> > assumed that LTS meant that applications would be refreshed to the
> > latest versions and new applications would be added.  If I recall
> > correctly, that is not true.  LTS will patch bugs but will not introduce
> > major applications updates or new applications.  Please correct me if I
> > am wrong - John
>
> LTS = long term support, not latest software.
<snip>
Yes, exactly, so it develops the same problem as RHEL as a desktop where
the applications can grow quite old for desktop usage.  As server may
not mind a two year old version of OpenOffice or Firefox but a desktop
probably does - John