Re: Things I Don't Understand About Debian

In <[🔎] AANLkTiki5q8pN=k0mG-NG96vykMQk7W-9SkxQ4F2mSs0@mail.gmail.com>, shawn
wilson wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 1:32 PM,
>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> In <[🔎] 4D685BBB.2010009@gmail.com>, Aaron Toponce wrote:
>> >More garbage. There are _many_ good reasons to reboot a UNIX or
>> >GNU/Linux server:
>> >
>> >* Forcing applications to use the new libraries.
>>
>> Poor reason; I've never found an application that needed a reboot to fix
>> this.  (Yes, you need to restart the application, but not the OS.)
>
>lets look at this for a second. lets look at the libraries that init uses:

telinit u

The exec* family of functions always opens a file based on path so they will
get the new /sbin/init binary.  Because of the way the linker works, this
will also pick up new versions of dynamically linked libraries.

>> >* Ensuring all hardware is still in good, working order.
>>
>> Good reason.
>>
>iirc, if the device was made properly, when you reload a driver, it will
>reboot the device.

Can the caps on my MB hold through another boot?  What about the various
devices between the kernel and RAM, the filesystem holding '/', and any swap
devices?

>> >* Even modifying partitions or filesystems to accommodate new storage
>>
>> needs.
>>
>> I've done quite a bit of this live.  LVM is good stuff.  Sound be in most
>> environments.
>
>on a default debian install, there is no extra space to resize lvm.

Shrink one of your file systems and use the extra space.  I don't use default
Debian paritioning anyway.  / /home /opt /var /srv /usr /usr/local /tmp
/var/tmp /var/cache are all separate file systems on non-VPS systems I
control.

Even with just /, swap, and /home, you can unmount and shrink home to grow /.
Even "venerable" ext3 has the ability to grow while mounted.  (btrfs and zfs
can shirnk while mounted!)