Re: Things I Don't Understand About Debian

In <[🔎] 4D685BBB.2010009@gmail.com>, Aaron Toponce wrote:
>More garbage. There are _many_ good reasons to reboot a UNIX or
>GNU/Linux server:
>
>* Proper maintenance ensuring all services start on boot.

Good reason.

>* Cleaning out stale memory and swap as a "refresh".

Poor reason; almost all of this can be done live.  What can't be done live
will most likely slow down your system when it is "undone" by the reboot.

>* Booting into a new kernel.

Good reason.

>* Forcing applications to use the new libraries.

Poor reason; I've never found an application that needed a reboot to fix
this.  (Yes, you need to restart the application, but not the OS.)

>* Ensuring all hardware is still in good, working order.

Good reason.

>* Running filesystem checks on filesystems to make sure data is sound.

For anything but '/' this can be done without rebooting.
For '/', you have to boot into a different environment, which is even more
severe than a reboot.

>* Even modifying partitions or filesystems to accommodate new storage needs.

I've done quite a bit of this live.  LVM is good stuff.  Sound be in most
environments.