Re: Things I Don't Understand About Debian

Hi, shawn:

En fecha Sábado, 26 de Febrero de 2011, shawn wilson escribió:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 7:30 PM, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
> > Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > > But there is no 100% way to tell the machine is clean, so you will
> > > have to wipe and reinstall anyway.
> >
> > But if the machine is in fact clean you will have lost nothing but time.
> > Which is better: to know for sure that the Russian mafia got all your
> > customer records or suspect that they might have but have reason to
> > believe that that they probably didn't?
> > --
>
> 'nothing but time' - you know that businesses spend tons of money to get
> more 9s of uptime.
> if a website grosses $500 an hour (for ads or for what they sell) and you
> wipe the box and reinstall, you might have lost $2k

This is not as a strong argument as you seem to think.  If your website
grosses $500 an hour, you lost $2k in four hours, yes... out of $12k for a
single day, out of $4.38M a year.  So, by the end of the year you made
$4,378,000 instead of $4,380,000.  Yeah, big concern.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take security seriously, of course you should,
but that it should be put in proportion.  The "downtime costs you serious
money" goes both ways: you lose $500 an hour both if your machine is down
*and* if your machine is still not up.  So if upon starting the service you
expended an extra day to really be sure your system is properly secured, you
lost $12k in order to protect you from a $2K lose.  Not quite wise.

Cheers.