Re: To gmail or not to gmail (was Re: Fwd: selecting old machines for firewall/router use)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Petrus Validus wrote:

I interpret the "if used correctly" bit to mean "using the GMail web
interface, not a 3rd party client such as Evolution or Mutt."  Am I
correct in this interpretation?

No, I mean, AFAICT, IMAP was not designed for this paradigm (same
message present in different folders/tags/views/whatever).

I've also come to that conclusion.  I think we're saying the same thing
just different words (maybe?).  It looks like to me this paradigm was
designed for use on Gmail's own interface and that's it.

Mutt with the correct macros and folder-hooks can be bent into adapting
to Gmail's style, mostly...

I'm still new to Mutt so I will have to look into this much further, not
to mention doing some manual reading.

Unless I'm missing something it does *not* do what I want, but I worked
around it with mutt macros (see my other post).

Heh...I noticed that too.  I'll take a look at your post.

With the google labs thing, the delete/move to bin options only work if the message is only in a single IMAP folder thus it will never work if you are subscribed to the "All Mail" folder (unless it is only in the all mail folder), if you go to the labels section in the GMail settings you can unsubscribed "All Mail" as an IMAP folder.

--

(\___/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/1/users/happy