Re: To gmail or not to gmail (was Re: Fwd: selecting old machines for firewall/router use)

> > Is there a way for this to be disabled and subsequently have
> > messages be displayed in their specific folders...or is this just how
> > Gmail works?
>
> This one of the better "innovation" brought by Gmail, if used correctly.

I interpret the "if used correctly" bit to mean "using the GMail web
interface, not a 3rd party client such as Evolution or Mutt."  Am I
correct in this interpretation?

> Unfortunately it's not very usable via IMAP.

I read somewhere in my travels across the Web today while researching
this that Google only has partial implementation of IMAP.  I don't know
how accurate that is since I don't the underlying details of this
protocol.

> Example:
> How do I tell mutt to tag the message as read in All Mail when I delete
> it (archive in Gmail speak) from Inbox?

There's a Gmail Labs thing that has extensive IMAP controls which will
do that.  Another poster suggested that to me.

--
Petrus Validus
Petrus.Validus@gmail.com

If there isn't a way, I make one.