Re: selecting old machines for firewall/router use

* On 2011 20 Feb 14:22 -0600, Elmer E. Dow wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I'd like to set up a network with a firewall for my home computers
> for security, control and convenience (file sharing), as well as to
> learn about networking. We have the Internet entering via a Motorola
> DSL modem and it currently passes data through a NetGear wireless
> router. I'd like to construct my own firewall/router to connect our
> three active machines and also use the NetGear for wireless access
> when needed.

Reusing old hardware is fine.  Be sure that you're not going to spend as
much or more getting the hardware into an old computer as you might with
a router capable of running OpenWRT or similar.  Last year I bought an
Asus WL-500 GP from New Egg for about $60.  Granted, one must read specs
carefully if more memory/hardware capability is required.  Not to be
overlooked are the space and energy requirements of an old desktop
versus a modern router capable of running an embedded Linux
distribution.

I have my OpenWRT router working as an IPv4 DHCP server for my LAN and
caching DNS server with DNSmasq.  It also handles the IPv6 tunnel I have
and serves as the IPv6 router and address configurator with the radvd
package.  As it is a limited platform with only vi available for an
editor, I have it setup so I can mount the file system with sshfs, fuse,
and sftp-server so I can do most of its management from my desktop.

As I prefer to use a WRT55AG for 802.11a access, I disabled the
WL500GP's 802.11b/g wireless so I cannot comment on its performance.

While there is value in re-purposing old hardware, going this route has
been a gain all the way around for me.  It may be something to consider.

- Nate >>