selecting old machines for firewall/router use

Greetings:

I'd like to set up a network with a firewall for my home computers for security, control and convenience (file sharing), as well as to learn about networking. We have the Internet entering via a Motorola DSL modem and it currently passes data through a NetGear wireless router. I'd like to construct my own firewall/router to connect our three active machines and also use the NetGear for wireless access when needed.

Sitting on my bench right now and available for use as a firewall/router is a Dell Optiplex GX1 with the following specs:

300 Mhz processor
boot manager on 3.5-inch diskette so it can boot from diskette, CD or hard drive
ethernet jack on motherboard
5 pci slots
4 isa slots
(I have a pci nic and 2 isa nics on hand, plus there's that built-in jack on the board)

I'm leaning toward using the above machine since it has both pci and isa slots for nics (and an ethernet jack on the motherboard) so I won't have to buy a switch right away. I'll be able to connect the firewall/router box direct to the networked machines. (Will I need crossover cables?) However, it's the slowest of the bunch and I suspect that those isa nics might be very slow and problematic. Would I be best off just buying a network switch or replacing the isa nics with pci nics? Would one of my faster old machines be a more practical choice here? I have the following available:

Dell Dimension 333
333 Mhz processor
3 pci slots
2 isa slots
This boots from a CD without and manipulations, unlike the machine above. I'd need to purchase another pci nic to equal the four that I have available in the Optiplex.

e-machines
1.7 Ghz processor
ethernet jack on motherboard
3 pci slots
It seems like this one would have the greatest energy costs. I'd need to buy more pci nics, too.

(Qty:2) Micron
800 Mhz processor
3 pci slots
There are not enough slots, so I'd need a network switch, too.

Premier
500 Mhz processor
3 pci slots
There are not enough slots, so I'd need a network switch, too.

Which would be most suitable as a firewall/router? I'm thinking that any will work, but the e-machines box will be the most expensive to operate. And most of the above machines will require me to get more nics or purchase a switch. Any other things that I should consider?

Your advice and opinions are welcome.

Elmer