Re: To gmail or not to gmail (was Re: Fwd: selecting old machines for firewall/router use)

On Lu, 21 feb 11, 20:26:45, Petrus Validus wrote:
> > > Is there a way for this to be disabled and subsequently have
> > > messages be displayed in their specific folders...or is this just how
> > > Gmail works?
> >
> > This one of the better "innovation" brought by Gmail, if used correctly.
>
> I interpret the "if used correctly" bit to mean "using the GMail web
> interface, not a 3rd party client such as Evolution or Mutt."  Am I
> correct in this interpretation?

No, I mean, AFAICT, IMAP was not designed for this paradigm (same
message present in different folders/tags/views/whatever).

Mutt with the correct macros and folder-hooks can be bent into adapting
to Gmail's style, mostly...

I presume plugins for Icedove can be (already are?) written.
Functionality similar to Gmail's can be seen in Outlook's search
folders, Opera (forgot the name), notmuch, sup, ..., each with its own
set of problems and/or limitations.

> > Unfortunately it's not very usable via IMAP.
>
> I read somewhere in my travels across the Web today while researching
> this that Google only has partial implementation of IMAP.  I don't know
> how accurate that is since I don't the underlying details of this
> protocol.

I didn't notice any lack of functionality, but I doubt I'm using the
full functionality of IMAP.

> > Example:
> > How do I tell mutt to tag the message as read in All Mail when I delete
> > it (archive in Gmail speak) from Inbox?
>
> There's a Gmail Labs thing that has extensive IMAP controls which will
> do that.  Another poster suggested that to me.

Unless I'm missing something it does *not* do what I want, but I worked
around it with mutt macros (see my other post).

Regards,
Andrei