Re: To gmail or not to gmail (was Re: Fwd: selecting old machines for firewall/router use)

> Hmm, as far as I understand, a message is always present in [Gmail]/All
> Mail', unless moved to [Gmail]/Trash or [Gmail]/Spam. New mail (not
> filtered) goes to my Inbox. If I want to get rid of it for good I move
> it to [Gmail]/Trash, but if I want to "archive" it I just delete the
> Inbox tag for it, since the mail still has the All Mail tag.

Yes.  The way Gmail works is different to say the least.

> Maybe this is mutt specific, but if I just delete the mail from Inbox in
> All Mail the message is still marked as unread (a.k.a new).

I experience this same issue when using other clients, notably
Evolution, Outlook, and Mutt.  I end up with a lot of duplicate messages
even though there is only one original message delivered to my Gmail
account.  This makes things confusing.

--
Petrus Validus
Petrus.Validus@gmail.com