Re: selecting old machines for firewall/router use

John Hasler put forth on 2/21/2011 6:24 PM:
> Stan writes:
>> For this to be a real security issue, any attack must start below the
>> IP level...
>
> Or from the inside.  If none of the machines on the LAN are running
> Windows you're probably ok.

How is this a security issue?  Broadcast packets coming from the
customer that hit the DSLAM are instantly dropped.  Even if you have
Windows machines there's no issue.  Again, we're talking about xDSL here
not cable.  The DSLAM acts as a broadcast packet firewall.

xDSL + broadcast  = no problem
cable + broadcast = potential problem

--
Stan