Re: OpenOffice has become LibreOffice?

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:02:58 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:30:47 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón dijo:
>
>>Back on topic, Wikipedia holds up-to-date info about OpenOffice forks
>>and its derivatives:
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org#Derivative_software
>
> Thanks. That was very helpful.
>
> The only part I don't understand is where it says that Go-oo added
> features. What it fails to mention is that it also removes features. As
> just one example, in OOo 3.1 and later the Save button is grayed out
> until there have been changes to the document. The Go-oo people removed
> this feature so that it would look more like MS Office. Or so I have
> read. All I can say for sure is that in 3.1 the Save button was never
> grayed out in the version from the Debian repos, but after removing that
> version and installing 3.1 from OOo the button worked as expected.

(...)

Hum... I wouldn't call that "a feature" but "a different behaviour" :-)

Anyway, I'm afraid the full list of changes is not going to be available
under Wikipedia but on every project changelog or in their respectives
bug tracking systems.

OTOH, from what I've read, one thing it turned nuts developers who
participated in OOo development was the long time it took Sun to apply
the pacthes upstream, so they finally forked to avoid such situation. I
suppose there are more things that lead to that but I prefer keeping away
from bureaucratic companies (as can be Oracle or Sun) as much as I can.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón