Re: OpenOffice has become LibreOffice?

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:10:00 +0000
Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> dijo:

>On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 02:02:30PM +0000, teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net
>wrote:
>> Why? I was afraid Oracle was gonna screw up a bunch of Sun's open
>> projects, but they have been doing good as far as I have been able
>> to tell (the latest ver. of Virtual Box is awesome and yummy open
>> source goodness...
>
>Did you miss all the news about the Java TCK and Apache, Hudson, etc.?
>OpenOffice development was stifled under both Sun and now Oracle.
>Contributing to it was insanely difficult, and LibreOffice is the
>solution to that.

I am still using OOo 3.2.1 but have been hearing about the LibreOffice
fork for some time now. A couple weeks ago I even went to their
website, but I was looking for feature comparisons and I couldn't find
it anywhere. All I can find is pages and pages of discussion of the
evils of proprietary software and the goodness of the LibreOffice fork
in contrast. That's interesting, but I'm just a desktop user and my
bottom line is whether it works better or not.

Does anyone know of a place that has a fairly detailed but not too
technical list of why one would want to use LibreOffice over OOo,
disregarding the open source issues. I am interested in what
LibreOffice offers that makes it easier to use, fewer bugs, features or
lack thereof.

Also I am interested in whether distros will be modifying it, e.g., the
GOo mess. For example, I now always install OOo from the .deb files
downloaded from OOo because distros always cripple something. The last
incident was Installing 3.2.1 from the repos on a Fedora computer,
where Fedora decided to disable the AutoCorrect feature.