Re: OpenOffice has become LibreOffice?

Am Dienstag, 15. Februar 2011 schrieb John Jason Jordan:

Hi Jason,

> I am still using OOo 3.2.1 but have been hearing about the LibreOffice
> fork for some time now. A couple weeks ago I even went to their
> website, but I was looking for feature comparisons and I couldn't find
> it anywhere. All I can find is pages and pages of discussion of the
> evils of proprietary software and the goodness of the LibreOffice fork
> in contrast. That's interesting, but I'm just a desktop user and my
> bottom line is whether it works better or not.
>
> Does anyone know of a place that has a fairly detailed but not too
> technical list of why one would want to use LibreOffice over OOo,
> disregarding the open source issues. I am interested in what
> LibreOffice offers that makes it easier to use, fewer bugs, features or
> lack thereof.
>
> Also I am interested in whether distros will be modifying it, e.g., the
> GOo mess. For example, I now always install OOo from the .deb files
> downloaded from OOo because distros always cripple something. The last
> incident was Installing 3.2.1 from the repos on a Fedora computer,
> where Fedora decided to disable the AutoCorrect feature.

I suppose, Debian will not disable things if not forced to because of
technical problems. Besides, I do not think, that at the moment are many
differences between OOO and LibO, as LibO is just a fork of OOO. However, I
have heard, that the last release of LibO might be more stable than OOO, and
OOO in the future focusses more to cloud-computing.

The main point for me to change as fast as possible to LibO can be described
in one word: freedom! I do not want to be obliqued from a single company, who
just want to make money. And I anger with Oracle, how they managed with the
people from OOO and LibO. They forgot (and they even do not care), that people
have spent a lot of their private times, to improve OOO. So OOO could freely
grow and got better and better. Now the developers are forced to code, want
Oracle wants, and not what they themselves want to develop. Becaus of this,
LibreOffice was founded and most of the developers of OOO are now developing
LibO -  and again with joy and freedom! IMO the results will be better in the
future, but that is not the point. The point is, that IMO the quality of
software (or any other product) will be better, when people are working on it
with joy and freedom. That is, why I changed to LibO, and why I want to
contribute it, if I can.

But of course, that is my point, other people might decide different. Also free
decisions are freedom, too!

Have fun!

Hans-J. Ullrich