Re: OpenOffice has become LibreOffice?

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:38:24 -0500, shawn wilson wrote:

> 1. last time i checked, there are some things that libraoffice needs a
> jre to run and it doesn't ship with one (i've seen it complain about it
> - runs fine without it, but...).

That was a "soft" requirement also from OpenOffice (some parts of the
wizards required Java), not a new feature of LibreOffice.

> 2. i highly doubt nokia is dropping qt since it is at the center of
> their n8 sdk.

Nokia has jumped into a dark-and-fuzzy side, let's see how it behaves
from now on.

> 3. 95% of virtualbox is open sourced anyway - wouldn't matter much if
> oracle dropped it. might change to librabox or virtuallylibre, but
> that's about it. the closed source stuff is the usb transport and (iirc)
> some of the desktop stuff.

USB stack is available only with the PUEL licence (and so this part of
the code is not open source at all) so if Oracle starts doing weird
things with VirtualBox I would jump to another VM.

> now, i don't know what oracle will do to mysql. however, they could
> really mess up the db world since (iirc) the innodb stuff is their's. if
> they pull that, we've got problems.

There is PostgreSQL and nosql dbs :-)

> i think there's also some minor db
> stuff that oracle owns the rights to that are in mysql, postgresql, and
> others.

Uh? Last time I checked PostgreSQL license was very free software and
user-friendly (similar to the new BSD license).

Back on topic, Wikipedia holds up-to-date info about OpenOffice forks and
its derivatives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org#Derivative_software

Greetings,

--