Re: stable-updates versus volatile

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> In <[🔎] 20110209093337.GA13771@furie.org.uk>, Tom Furie wrote:
>>On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 09:20:04PM -0800, Mark wrote:
>>> Thank you, Rob.  This is very very helpful.  In step 2, you not only
>>> changed "lenny" to "squeeze" but also "debian-volatile" to
>>> "squeeze-updates" in the following lines?  Or did you do something else?
>>> Sorry for the extra question, this is not documented in Release Notes.
>>>
>>> deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
>>> deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
>>
>>Yes it is. Specifically section 2.1.8. Stable-updates replaces the
>>functionality previously provided by volatile.
>
> I think the implication was that the release notes doesn't tell you how to
> edit the lines that refer to volatile.
>
> If your volatile line look like this:
> deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
> change it to:
> deb http://cdn.debian.net/debian squeeze-updates main
>
> You can change "cdn.debian.net" to your favorite Debian mirror.

Thanks! I was getting error messages and hadn't gotten around to
looking into it. I didn't really read the release notes looking for
information about the sources list. I kind of assumed the installer
would set them up properly. Doesn't make sense for a clean install of
Debian 6 to put invalid repositories in your sources.list