Re: Firware drivers?

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

I just upgraded my son's laptop.  It uses the ipw2x00 firmware for his
wireless card.  The upgrade did not change that.  I followed the release
notes for the most part.  Specifically:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (on Lenny)
change sources to squeeze and replaced debian-volatile with squeeze-updates
removed the backports repo
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (on Squeeze repos)
apt-get install linux-image-2.6-686
apt-get install udev
reboot
apt-get dist-upgrade (on Squeeze repos)

During that dist-upgrade, the wireless card stopped working.  It was
fixed with a reboot.  I suspect, but am not sure, that I could have
fixed it by restarting network-manager.

Thank you, Rob.  This is very very helpful.  In step 2, you not only changed "lenny" to "squeeze" but also "debian-volatile" to "squeeze-updates" in the following lines?  Or did you do something else?  Sorry for the extra question, this is not documented in Release Notes.

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main

Thank you,
Mark