Firware drivers?

Are you guys kidding??!!!  I've been using "testing" for years with
very little problems.  I noticed that "Squeeze" was just officially
released.  I also noticed that suddenly had about 200 upgradeable
packages.  So fine, I do the upgrade.  Reboot, and find I can't get on
the network.

After some hunting around, I realize the Intel e100 firmware has been
removed.  What!!!  Just because it's part of the "non-free"
packages??!!!   My PC is now "bricked!!"  I'm going to have to go to
another computer download the deb package, transfer and reload it.

Does this have some nonsense to do with the "philosophy" of "free"
software.  If so, it's absurd.