Re: skip fsck when booting on battery?

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 08:59:15PM +0100, Steven wrote:
> An interesting view, I'll keep it in mind when/if reinstalling the
> laptop, it has 2 physical drives, each 160 GB. Only the first one is
> slightly less due to a swap partition. Currently the whole disk is used
> for /, and the second one is mounted somewhere on /media.
>
> Now considering a desktop system like mine, how would that play out?
> The system has a 2GB /boot partition on an SSD, and / is the remaining
> of that SSD (let's say 57GB). A partition of another regular drive is
> used as /home (476GB).
> Then there are 2 md raid arrays, each consisting of 2 drives 1TB in
> size, raid 1 (mirror), both mounted as data arrays under /media. All
> file systems are ext3.
>
> Obviously the SSD is quite fast when checking so not an issue, /home
> however takes about 15 minutes, and each raid array approximately 45
> minutes.
>
> Or would in this case another file system be a better option for the
> large partitions? Ext4 comes to mind. The system is not backed by a UPS
> so power failures do happen (although not often).
>
> Such large arrays hold all kinds of data, from large images (both cd,
> dvd and hard drives of over 120 GB) to small text files.
>
> Thank you for your time.

Nice sounding system.

I am more the old notebook enthusiast/hobbyist though.

I would worry about ramifications of partitioning solid state drives without
research.  I haven't had any problems with ext4 that I am aware of yet.

Regarding RAID, I have read that partitioning is advantageous for
expansions.  But that remains contingent on the controller, the level, the
implementation and the objective.  Again, I just started looking at the
possibility of a RAID storage in the far future!

Many discussion to Google on that!

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody