Re: skip fsck when booting on battery?

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 13:49 -0800, Freeman wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 08:48:23PM +0100, Steven wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Earlier today at fosdem, I was booting my laptop and it started a
> > routine file system check ("booted 28 times without being checked, check
> > forced"). Obviously I don't want the laptop doing that check when it's
> > on battery power, especially since it has an aging battery.
> >
> > How do I turn I fix this, or is this a bug?
>
> There is a power status section near the top of checkfs.sh that is commented
> out citing bug #526398.  The script runs from init.d in runlevel S,
> /etc/rcS.d .

Thanks for pointing out that bug, I'm not sure what to do with it,
re-enabling it is fairly safe as long as I remember not to boot from
battery after a failure. Then again, should I trust my memory not to
forget that?...

> > The laptop is an Acer Aspire 7720G running Debian Squeeze.
> >

> You should be able to get out of checks with CTRL-C .

Hmm.. good point, haven't tried that yet, Esc didn't work, but that was
a couple of years ago on another distribution.

> > I do notice that the laptop seems to 'think' it was still on AC power
> > until later in the boot sequence, due to the brightness setting. I think
> > it keeps the previous AC/battery state from last boot, and only checks
> > again quite late in the boot process.
>
> Maybe that is acpi starting in runlevel 2 or whatever runlevel you end up in.

Perhaps it's only the brightness, in that case I can live with it, I'll
look into it a bit further when I have the time.

@ elbbit: The file system is ext3, however I wouldn't turn of the
automatic routine checks entirely.
I think I'll just leave it as it is and see if Ctrl+C does the trick,
when I'm at home I'll just let it finish, it doesn't take that long, and
use my desktop instead (now _that_ takes long, checking multiple 1TB
disks).

Thank you both for replying.
Kind regards,
Steven