Re: skip fsck when booting on battery?

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 12:47:52AM +0100, Steven wrote:
. . .

> @ elbbit: The file system is ext3, however I wouldn't turn of the
> automatic routine checks entirely.
> I think I'll just leave it as it is and see if Ctrl+C does the trick,
> when I'm at home I'll just let it finish, it doesn't take that long, and
> use my desktop instead (now _that_ takes long, checking multiple 1TB
> disks).

In the name of sucking some more marrow out of that little bone, there is a
way to edit file system parameters to near insignificance at boot checks
without severely reducing effectiveness.

With a strategy of multiple partitions facilitating staggered backups,
security, disk checks and whatever, varying check intervals can be assigned
to each partition according to priority.

So given /boot, /srv, /, /home, /usr, /usr/share, and /var, all assigned to
different partitions in a rambling /etc/fstab,

Where checking /srv is the highest priority and /boot, the least priority,

Figure the desired boot interval for checking /srv and assign the closest
prime number, say 29,

  tune2fs -c 29 /dev/designation_for_/srv_partition

Work up the list of prime numbers respectively.

Now, checking /boot (250M ?), will take a second or so every 53 boots. Even
/srv or /home (7-10G ?) would be way less trouble than the entire drive.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody