Re: skip fsck when booting on battery?

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 17:40 -0800, Freeman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 12:47:52AM +0100, Steven wrote:
> . . .
> >
> > @ elbbit: The file system is ext3, however I wouldn't turn of the
> > automatic routine checks entirely.
> > I think I'll just leave it as it is and see if Ctrl+C does the trick,
> > when I'm at home I'll just let it finish, it doesn't take that long, and
> > use my desktop instead (now _that_ takes long, checking multiple 1TB
> > disks).
> >

> In the name of sucking some more marrow out of that little bone, there is a
> way to edit file system parameters to near insignificance at boot checks
> without severely reducing effectiveness.
>
> With a strategy of multiple partitions facilitating staggered backups,
> security, disk checks and whatever, varying check intervals can be assigned
> to each partition according to priority.
>
> So given /boot, /srv, /, /home, /usr, /usr/share, and /var, all assigned to
> different partitions in a rambling /etc/fstab,
>
> Where checking /srv is the highest priority and /boot, the least priority,
>
> Figure the desired boot interval for checking /srv and assign the closest
> prime number, say 29,
>
>   tune2fs -c 29 /dev/designation_for_/srv_partition
>
> Work up the list of prime numbers respectively.
>
> Now, checking /boot (250M ?), will take a second or so every 53 boots. Even
> /srv or /home (7-10G ?) would be way less trouble than the entire drive.

An interesting view, I'll keep it in mind when/if reinstalling the
laptop, it has 2 physical drives, each 160 GB. Only the first one is
slightly less due to a swap partition. Currently the whole disk is used
for /, and the second one is mounted somewhere on /media.

Now considering a desktop system like mine, how would that play out?
The system has a 2GB /boot partition on an SSD, and / is the remaining
of that SSD (let's say 57GB). A partition of another regular drive is
used as /home (476GB).
Then there are 2 md raid arrays, each consisting of 2 drives 1TB in
size, raid 1 (mirror), both mounted as data arrays under /media. All
file systems are ext3.

Obviously the SSD is quite fast when checking so not an issue, /home
however takes about 15 minutes, and each raid array approximately 45
minutes.

Or would in this case another file system be a better option for the
large partitions? Ext4 comes to mind. The system is not backed by a UPS
so power failures do happen (although not often).

Such large arrays hold all kinds of data, from large images (both cd,
dvd and hard drives of over 120 GB) to small text files.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Steven