Re: "No devices found" in X

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:16:42 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2010-12-20 17:42 +0100, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> How bad... but "fbdev" also fails:
>>
>> ***
>> (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
>> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
>> (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
>> ***
>
> Looks like xserver-xorg-video-fbdev is not installed on your system.
> Small wonder that it fails then.

That was from Celejar's xorg log, not mine :-)

>> So, if KMS is now a must for Intel cards, and VESA is not compatible
>> with KMS, I hope at least "fbdev" can be used transparently (no user
>> intercation needed)...
>
> Personally I hope to never need vesa or fbdev on Intel systems.

Yep, but in real life users need to have a second alternative when the
primary fails. Having no screen at all is not a good way to start your
work-day.

>> Hummm, I wouldn't like to have an Intel VGA chipset nowadays O:-)
>
> Why not?  My (four years old) laptop has always worked fine, and Intel
> chipsets are the only ones where free drivers for very new hardware
> exist.

Why not? :-)

Because I'm seeing (one day and another, in this same list and in other
Debian lists) that Intel driver is failing (crashing) very often and
doesn't seem to provide an easy method to bypass these problems.

I like free drivers... if they "work". One thing is that you don't get
many FPS with your Intel card but another thing is that you cannot even
get into your desktop because xorg server is crashing on start-up.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón