Re: "No devices found" in X

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:25:02 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2010-12-20 16:45 +0100, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Users with an Intel VGA card should always have the "vesa" driver
>> available and ready to be used, just in case, because such cards do not
>> have another alternative to use (while ati or nvidia chipsets can play
>> with 3/4 different set of drivers, Intel options are very limited in
>> this matter) :-/
>
> The vesa driver won't work with Kernel Mode Setting (which is mandatory
> for current Intel driver versions), the fbdev driver is a better
> fallback for KMS-enabled systems.  Of course it does not hurt to have
> both vesa and fbdev installed.

How bad... but "fbdev" also fails:

***
(II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
***

So, if KMS is now a must for Intel cards, and VESA is not compatible with
KMS, I hope at least "fbdev" can be used transparently (no user
intercation needed)... Hummm, I wouldn't like to have an Intel VGA
chipset nowadays O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón