Re: "No devices found" in X

On 2010-12-20 17:42 +0100, Camaleón wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:25:02 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>> The vesa driver won't work with Kernel Mode Setting (which is mandatory
>> for current Intel driver versions), the fbdev driver is a better
>> fallback for KMS-enabled systems.  Of course it does not hurt to have
>> both vesa and fbdev installed.
>
> How bad... but "fbdev" also fails:
>
> ***
> (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
> (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
> (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
> ***

Looks like xserver-xorg-video-fbdev is not installed on your system.
Small wonder that it fails then.

> So, if KMS is now a must for Intel cards, and VESA is not compatible with
> KMS, I hope at least "fbdev" can be used transparently (no user
> intercation needed)...

Personally I hope to never need vesa or fbdev on Intel systems.

> Hummm, I wouldn't like to have an Intel VGA
> chipset nowadays O:-)

Why not?  My (four years old) laptop has always worked fine, and Intel
chipsets are the only ones where free drivers for very new hardware
exist.

Sven