Re: "No devices found" in X

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:56:55 -0500, Celejar wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:25:55 +0100 Sven Joachim  wrote:
>
>> On 2010-12-19 20:56 +0100, Celejar wrote:
>>
>> > Running uptodate Sid.  I usually run self-compiled kernels (from
>> > kernel.org git mainline repo) with standard Debian Sid X.
>>
>> You need to set CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y in your kernel configuration.
>> See the recent bug reports on the xserver-xorg-video-intel package.
>
> Right you are, as usual.  We have this:

> So I fixed that, and now I seemed to be worse off than before - the
> system seemed to just hang early on in the boot process with a blank
> screen.

(...)

By reading your xorg log error, I see two problems here:

1/ Intel driver is failing (not normal but users are accustomed to this)
2/ VESA driver (the natural fallback alternative when "intel" driver
fails) cannot be loaded:

***
(II) LoadModule: "vesa"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
***

Users with an Intel VGA card should always have the "vesa" driver
available and ready to be used, just in case, because such cards do not
have another alternative to use (while ati or nvidia chipsets can play
with 3/4 different set of drivers, Intel options are very limited in this
matter) :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón