Re: "No devices found" in X

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:25:55 +0100
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2010-12-19 20:56 +0100, Celejar wrote:
>
> > Running uptodate Sid.  I usually run self-compiled kernels (from
> > kernel.org git mainline repo) with standard Debian Sid X.
>
> You need to set CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y in your kernel configuration.  See
> the recent bug reports on the xserver-xorg-video-intel package.

Right you are, as usual.  We have this:

So I fixed that, and now I seemed to be worse off than before - the
system seemed to just hang early on in the boot process with a blank
screen.

I thought about this a bit, and realized that this was happening right
around the time that the system might be trying to switch to the
framebuffer, or something like that.  I don't particularly like the
framebuffer, and I've never needed it before, so I don't know much
about it.  I still haven't figured out how to get the framebuffer
working (if that's indeed the problem), but I discovered that I can get
into X by just waiting until the HDD stops churning, and then blindly
typing 'startx<CR>'.  [How's that for a broken system - X, but no
console ;)]

I've checked the framebuffer section of my kernel config, and made sure
that FB_I810 is enabled, but the problem remains.  Am I on the right
track?  Do I need anything else?

Looking around some more, I see that the Gentoo Wiki claims that with
Intel and KMS the framebuffer drivers should *not* be built, and
*building* them may actually cause black screens!  Can anyone point me
to a proper explanation of what I need to do to get the console working
here?

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Framebuffer

[I'm pretty sure that I've tried both with FB_I810 enabled and
disabled, but perhaps I always really had it enabled.  If no one
has a better suggestion, I suppose I'll have to try again with it
disabled just to make sure.]

Thanks, Sven,
Celejar