Re: waiting for root file system

Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:19:24 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Camaleón wrote:

So, you have changed not only the board but also the disk interface (it
was ide and now is sata)? Does the new kernel has "libata" module
loaded?
It was a sata disk in an external enclosure connected with USB, now it
is in the same enclosure but conneceted with SATA cable.

O.k.

Maybe now is a good time for you to put your Grub's menu config (either
upload the full file to an external server or attach the file to the
message). Also, include the output of "fdisk -l" that will help us to
get a better understanding of your current system structure :-)

I can't attach files: TB hangs forever then, will register via yahoo!

You mean Thunderbird is facing any problem? :-?

I dislike TB,ID. At any moment it will not post but is "waiting"

You can still upload the content of the files to "www.pastebin.com"

After 'waiting for root file system' and the 5 minute wait, initrd drops
to a shell and says "/dev/dis/by-label/wd80_0jd-60.06 does not exist"
and sure enough it don't and that us the new sata connection. So there
is a sata module missing fro initrd.

It should exist, but maybe now Grub detects it in another location (hd1,0) or (hd0,1) or...

Ah, I forgot to say that you can always "play" with GRUB at booting menu. You have to reach GRUB console (by pressing "c"?) and try to manually get further information about the new location of the device, for example:

grub> find /boot/vmlinuz
find /boot/vmlinuz
 (hd0,1)

And compare that information with the current "root (hdx,n)" stanza.

I found the culprit: something you mentioned: AHCI. After making the an <M> I can boot the system.

Now find out why my USB devices are not connected.
Pretty good. Thanks.

Hugo