waiting for root file system

Hi,

I changed motherboards and now when I boot I get "waiting for root file
system".

But the disks have not changed, they are the same ones as with the old
motherboard. All partitions are labelled.

One disk had a USB connection on the old motherboard and now has a SATA
connection.

Fstab and grub use labels for everything.

Debian's stock kernel boots correctly without problems, just my
homegrown kernel doesn't boot, but it booted with the old motherboard.

So there is *something* in my homegrown kernel that causes that message.

Anybody venture a guess as to what it might be?

This is with Sid updated.

Hugo