Re: waiting for root file system

Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 09:58:00 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

I changed motherboards and now when I boot I get "waiting for root file
system".

(...)

Same motherboard or a different (brand/model) one?

Different motherboard/cpu/memory old:epox 8VTAI new:asus M4N98TD EVO + AthlonII AM3 + 4GB

How are the sata BIOS settings now and then (sata/ahci/raid)? Maybe you need to load a kernel module that was present in the old system (sata) but now is not available in the new one (ahci)?

Old mobo could not use sata, did not use it + no raid. New mobo uses sata, still don't use raid. New mobo has 1 sata disk that was USB in old mobo and sata dvd burner.

Or maybe your GRUB has to be properly updated for looking into the right "root (hdx,n)" device?

Let me do a grub-install, but it finds the root device and boots it, but it hangs after initrd with "waiting for root file system"

Hugo