Re: HP Laserjet not printing.

Johann Spies put forth on 11/8/2010 3:25 AM:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 08:36:31AM +0200, Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Well the whole problem was HP "Smart" install which comes with this printer
>> because of this Laserjet registers itself as storage deivce under Debian.
>>
>> Only way to fix this is to disable this HP Smart install feature from Windows:
>> Go to UTIL folder in the CD that came with printer and run SIUtility.
>
> Well I am considering now to return my printer.  I have not opened the
> box yet.  I don't  have a Windows installation and if SIUtility would
> not run under Wine, I am stumped.
>
> Thanks for your information.
>
> But wait.  I have a Macbook also.  Can you check whether this can be
> done from a Mac please?  I don't want to open the box to find out.

Just return the damn thing and get a network printer.  This one is even
cheaper than the HP you bought which doesn't work.  Only $90 at Newegg.
 Has 10/100 and wireless ethernet print server built in:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113545

Drivers for Windows, Mac, and Linux.  As with everything "READ THE
INSTRUCTIONS FIRST" before you stick a CD in a drive. :)  You should be
able to set the thing up simply by pointing your browser at the IP
address of the printer.  Then, install the drivers on the PC(s).

--
Stan