Re: Communicating with USB Modem

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 02:05:08 +0000, Phil Requirements wrote:

> On 2010-10-09 20:22:41 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> When it comes to modems and linux, the only way to hit the right device
>> is by using a RS-232 modem. No drivers needed and straight-forward
>> setup for all kind of services (dial-up connection, fax facility...).
>>
>> Yes, yes... I know. Serial port is a scarce resource in modern
>> motherboards and n[eo]tbook computers ;-(
>>

> I was connecting by dialup only for about three years until recently. I
> agree that RS-232 hardware modems are good.
>
> But there is also a new breed of external USB modems that works just as
> easily. The one I bought was US Robotics. It was plug and play, no
> additional driver needed.
>
> I bought that modem because the computer that used it did not have a
> serial port.

Yes, US Robotics is in the modem business for years and I would expect
they make good hardware. But their USB modems are also a bit expensive :-)

***
U.S. Robotics USR5637 56Kbps USB High-performance V.92 modem
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104006
***

Nevertheless, if we look at the "Feedback" tab, it seems to play nice
with Linux systems.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón