Re: Communicating with USB Modem

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 03:21:36 -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> I have a Debian Lenny system and I've plugged in a USB 56K modem.  (I
> know that's as outdated as a Model T, but I need it for business.)  When
> I type "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" I get this:

(...)

As Ron suggested, better look at dmesg messages.

- If the device is not detected, it will (not) be there.

- If the device is detected but has problems for being setup, it will be
there.

- If the device is properly detected and configured, it will also be
there.

> From what I can find, that means the actual device file for this modem
> should be at /dev/bus/usb/001/002, but I know I could be wrong on that.

USB modems should fall under "/dev/ttyUSB0"

> I'm trying to communicate with this modem.  I've used Minicom, with the
> device I mentioned above.  There are no /dev/ttyACM0 devices, as
> sometimes happens with a modem.  I've tried all /dev/ttySx, where x is
> from 0 to 4, with no results.  The problem with Minicom is that it can
> take time and a lot of frustrating keypresses to try one device after
> another.  Also, I'm not sure the serial port speed settings are at all
> appropriate in Minicom for USB modems.

Don't go nuts with this. Just plug the modem, open a console, type "dmesg
| grep -i usb" and put the result here (for very long logs, upload the
result to "www.pastebin.com" or any service like that) :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón