Re: Communicating with USB Modem

On 2010-10-09 20:22:41 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 15:29:40 -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > On Oct 9, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Camaleón wrote:

[big snip]

> When it comes to modems and linux, the only way to hit the right device
> is by using a RS-232 modem. No drivers needed and straight-forward setup
> for all kind of services (dial-up connection, fax facility...).
>
> Yes, yes... I know. Serial port is a scarce resource in modern
> motherboards and n[eo]tbook computers ;-(

I was connecting by dialup only for about three years until recently.
I agree that RS-232 hardware modems are good.

But there is also a new breed of external USB modems that works just
as easily. The one I bought was US Robotics. It was plug and play, no
additional driver needed.

I bought that modem because the computer that used it did not have
a serial port.