Re: ps - Illegal Instruction

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
> On 9/20/2010 11:29 AM, Arthur Machlas wrote:
>>
>> The thing of it is, this doesn't sound like a Debian problem/question.
>> And most every suggestion is given with that in mind. So if you wanted
>> to see if it was a Debian problem, then you'd do things like try it in
>> another VM. Of course, this isn't possible for whatever reason -
>> doesn't matter - therefore we must rely on best guess. And best guess
>> would seem to be its a problem with VPC.
>>
>> You may get lucky and find someone on this list has had the exact same
>> problem and solved it, but it's far more likely that you'll get
>> assistance from the VPC people for this, either their forums or
>> mailing list or irc channel.
>>
>> Maybe this has already been explained though, I haven't followed the
>> entire thread.
>>
>> Regards,
>> AM
>>

> The VPC people won't help - they don't support non-MS OS's.  And I'm not
> necessarily looking for someone who has had the problem before, but some
> clues as to how to find the problem.
>
> As I said - I am a Debian noob, but I am not a noob to programming or
> computers.  I just don't know the code or debugging aids available to me
> here.

Please reply to list. It's a mistake I've often made, but is generally
frowned upon. As for the code or debugging aids available, the answer
is simple; none at all.

I'm sure I've seen this mentioned already though, and the 'blame' for
this lies with Microsoft for going closed source, or whoever in your
organization made the decision to use it. Regardless, I think your
only realistic option at this point is to abandon running a
Virtualized Debian. Perhaps you'll have greater success with some
other distro, Red-Hat, Cent-Os come to mind.

Kind regards,