ps - Illegal Instruction

This is a new install of Lenny on Windows 7 Virtual PC. I basically took the defaults, with a couple of changes to get it to install and get gnome's display correct.

I still have several problems, which may be related. The easiest one to find is an "Illegal Instruction" when I run a simple ps command. This occurs whether I run as a user or root.

I've done a lot of looking, but don't seem to find anything similar. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm still pretty much a noob on Linux, so please be gentle :)

TIA.

Jerry