Re: ps - Illegal Instruction

On 9/20/2010 9:54 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:15:42 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

(...)

I still have several problems, which may be related.  The easiest one to
find is an "Illegal Instruction" when I run a simple ps command.  This
occurs whether I run as a user or root.

I've done a lot of looking, but don't seem to find anything similar.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Have you try by performing a completely new install (by downloading a new
iso image and verifying the checksum before installing)?

I did a network install, so I only downloaded the first CD. No, I haven't tried downloading this again - it's a good idea, and I'll do that. I have tried installing the code several times, all with the same results. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and download everything. That's going to be fun! Thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe something got messed-up and VM can be very "picky" when they find
things they don't like. Also, debugging virtual machines is not an easy
(neither pleasure) task :-)

Yes, I know that - I've had to do it in the past on mainframes. I agree, it's not a lot of fun.

I'm still pretty much a noob on Linux, so please be gentle :)

Suggestions provided by other list users (like testing with another
virtual machine) are also a very good idea.

Why?

- First, because is what many of us would have done in your same
situation (it is very rare that running a simple "ps" command halts with
"illegal instruction", that error message comes from the virtual machine,
so VM is the first suspect here).

- Second, because Virtual PC is not a very good virtual machine (it lacks
for many basic functions, technically speaking, there are better choices,
such VirtualBox or Vmware Server).

A quick view of Wikipedia virtual machines comparison chart states so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines

- Third, because by you'll get further (and better) support, at least
from anyone here... being this a Debian user list, is not very probable
that some of us were running a VM that cannot be installed in Debian by
any means (well, maybe could be installed from Wine :-P).

Greetings,

I appreciate the comments, but people just don't understand. Another virtual machine is NOT an option here. I either get it to work under Virtual PC or have to toss Debian all together. There are no other choices. The decision is totally out of my hands.