Re: ps - Illegal Instruction

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:15:42 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

(...)

> I still have several problems, which may be related.  The easiest one to
> find is an "Illegal Instruction" when I run a simple ps command.  This
> occurs whether I run as a user or root.
>
> I've done a lot of looking, but don't seem to find anything similar.
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Have you try by performing a completely new install (by downloading a new
iso image and verifying the checksum before installing)?

Maybe something got messed-up and VM can be very "picky" when they find
things they don't like. Also, debugging virtual machines is not an easy
(neither pleasure) task :-)

> I'm still pretty much a noob on Linux, so please be gentle :)

Suggestions provided by other list users (like testing with another
virtual machine) are also a very good idea.

Why?

- First, because is what many of us would have done in your same
situation (it is very rare that running a simple "ps" command halts with
"illegal instruction", that error message comes from the virtual machine,
so VM is the first suspect here).

- Second, because Virtual PC is not a very good virtual machine (it lacks
for many basic functions, technically speaking, there are better choices,
such VirtualBox or Vmware Server).

A quick view of Wikipedia virtual machines comparison chart states so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines

- Third, because by you'll get further (and better) support, at least
from anyone here... being this a Debian user list, is not very probable
that some of us were running a VM that cannot be installed in Debian by
any means (well, maybe could be installed from Wine :-P).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón