Re: Re: ps - Illegal Instruction

Jerry,

You keep saying things like:

I appreciate the comments, but people just don't understand. Another virtual machine is NOT an option here. I either get it to work under Virtual PC or have to toss Debian all together. There are no other choices. The decision is totally out of my hands. As I said - unless you can tell me WHY it doesn't work, it's not open for discussion. The fact you tried it with one distro and don't like Microsoft are NOT valid reasons.
and

And as to the suggestions from other users to try another VM - that's not open for discussion unless you can tell my why the one that comes with Windows 7 doesn't work.

and....

I'm still pretty much a noob on Linux, so please be gentle :)

What you HAVEN'T said is:

- what you're actually trying to accomplish

- why you're so adamant about running the specific combination of Debian Lenny under VPC under Windows7

- who's decision it is, or

- what the decision criteria are

Is this a technical or a management mandate?

If technical, there are an awful lot of folks who are telling you that the particular combination of Win7/VPC/Lenny is a pretty complicated combination, never designed to work well together, without any real documentation - and that there are other, more reliable ways to get a Linux environment running under Windows. More scoping as to the ultimate goal might help generate advice on work-around for the things that aren't working (or advice along the lines of "that's just a crazy approach to the problem you're trying to solve).

If managerial, then how much time does your management want to invest, and how detailed an answer do they really need before deciding that some other approach makes more sense.

In short:
- it's abundantly clear that your configuration doesn't work
- there's no simple answer to why it won't work
- apparently the simple answer - "we tried, this combination of software doesn't play nicely" is not good enough for <somebody> - for your particular application, maybe you SHOULD "toss Debian all together"

Though, out of purely perverse interest, it would be nice to know what the heck this is all about.

Miles Fidelman

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In <fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra