Re: how to use wireless without network-manager or wicd

daniele.g (alias giglio robbo' d'acciaio) wrote:
hugo vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> writes:

Hi,

I run a laptop with lenny and debian kernel 2.6.32 that runs wireless.

I connected to the laptop via USB a disk that contains a partition that also
has debian kernel 2.6.32 but sid and that doesn't have network manager or wicd
installed.

How would I get wireless going without them on that USB disk?

That's how I manage my wireless network system by integrating ifplug +
guessnet + wpa_supplicant

,----[ interfaces ]
`----

,----[ wpa_supplicant.conf ]
| ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
| ctrl_interface_group=0
| ap_scan=1
| eapol_version=1
| fast_reauth=1
| | network={ | ssid="*******"
|     scan_ssid=1
|     proto=WPA2
|     key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
| pairwise=CCMP TKIP | group=CCMP TKIP | priority=5 | id_str="wifihome"
| }
`----

Very nice. But I can readily see why those network managers are needed. Thanks

Hugo